What do you need to be able to install Learn2Drive3D on your computer?
Learn2Drive3D is an installed application. It cannot be run directly from CD-ROM, but must be installed locally on your computer. Here are some things you'll need to know about the installation.
You need administrator rights on the computer you are installing to in order to install Learn2Drive3D. If you do not have admin rights, please log in as an administrator, or ask your system administrator to install Learn2Drive3D for you. Once it is installed all users on the local machine will be able to use it.
If you are not sure whether you have admin rights, here are some guidelines:
- If you have installed games or applications previously on this computer then you have admin rights.
- You are likely to have admin rights on your own home computer.
- You may or may not have admin rights on a work computer (larger organisations are likely not to give their users admin rights).
- You almost certainly do not have admin rights on a public computer, for example at an internet cafe or educational institution computer lab.
Minimum system requirements
Learn2Drive3D will install on the following operating systems:
- Windows 98 SE (minimum - it will install, but there are known issues)
- Windows 2000 with latest service pack (currently SP6 is available)
- Windows XP with latest service pack (recommended)
- New! Windows Vista (supported from Learn2Drive3D version 1.1)
- New!Windows XP 64bit and Windows Vista 64bit now supported (from version 1.2)
If you are not sure what your system specifications are, then a good guideline is that Learn2Drive3D is likely to run well on machines 3 years old or newer. Learn2Drive3D will run on older machines than this with with fairly low specs, and you will be able to use the Learner's section fully, but your performance in the Driver's section will be very low.
- Pentium II CPU 350 MHz (minimum for Learner's section)
- Pentium IV or higher (recommended for full use of Driver's section)
- 256MB RAM (minimum)
- 512MB RAM (recommended)
- 64MB Graphics card with DirectX 9c support and the latest graphics drivers for your card installed (minimum)
- CD-ROM drive
- 150-400MB free hard drive space (Learn2Drive3D uses 110MB of HDD space, but the pre-requisites take a lot more. Depending on which you already have installed on your machine you may need up to 250MB of free HDD space.)
All these pre-requisites will be installed to your computer by the Learn2Drive3D installation package if they are not already installed, so don't worry about them! We're just listing them here for information in case you're an advanced user and you are interested.
- Microsoft Internet Explorer 5.1 or later.
- Microsoft Windows Installer
- Microsoft DirectX 9c.
- Microsoft Data Access Components (MDAC) - required for L2D3D to run on windows 98
- Microsoft .Net Framework 2.0.
The installation programme will detect which of these pre-requisites you already have and give you a status report.
If you do not have Internet Explorer 5.1 or later installed, you will need to download this manually from the Microsoft website, as we are not allowed to re-distribute it. Once you have done so, run the installation again.
Note that DirectX9 will be updated even if it is already installed.
All pre-requisites are common software components used by many programmes and installed automatically by modern operating systems. Installing them will not affect programmes currently running on your computer. If you would like more information about these pre-requisites and what they do, please visit the Microsoft website.
- Learn2Drive3D will be installed to the location of your choice, and made available to all users on this computer.
- Shortcuts will be created on your desktop and start menu.
- If you would like to uninstall Learn2Drive3D from your computer, please do so from Control Panel, Add/Remove programmes.
If you need support with the installation process please email firstname.lastname@example.org.